"The chief source of art is man's pleasure in his daily work, which expresses itself and is embodied in that art itself."
William Morris (1834-1896)

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lotus vs. Water Lillies

white lotus
Many people confuse water lilies with lotuses but they are definitely different. Basically, Lotuses lift themselves above the water and have round leaves while water lilies float on the water and have heart shaped leaves. The lotuses also have those wonderful seed pods. When I first started putting these flowers on my pots, I two confused them so there are some pieces out there that could stump a botanist. At the beginning of my efforts I  sculpted water lilies and called them lotuses. I confess! I added to the confusion! My only saving grace is that I now know and promise to make those flower petals softer, the leaves round and the pods visible.
Here are a few photos of the water lily that we saw at the Fountain Pond Park on our way home from the Stockbridge, MA Arts & Crafts show last weekend.



with arrowroot and cattails
Water lilies


2 comments:

  1. The information was very useful. But I must say call them water lilies or lotus flowers your pottery is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete